A virtual chalkboard for my projects, doodles and fun!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Have a seat!

I actually bought 3 chairs to refinish before I found that gorgeous dining table. Notice I didn't say the chairs were gorgeous - no, they needed some work - a lot of work!

Funny, I actually saw these chairs on clearance at a used furniture store. They were on sale for $15 a piece.  I passed.  Then about a week later, I stopped by a Goodwill right next to that store and there they were, the same (can I say.. ugly) chairs - but just $5.99 a piece. Hmmm, I could see their inner beauty!

So I sanded. And sanded. And sanded some more. Actually there were at least 4 layers of paint on these babies - blue, green, black and white. My color choice - a gorgeous English Chesnut stain. But I was going to have to work for it!

I tried a paint stripper on one of the chairs -- it cut through one layer of paint, then I had to sand through the other three!

Days and days of sanding were rewarded as I put the first stroke of stain on these chairs. Oh, so pretty!!














One coat down, another to go.


Now, I just need to seal them and recover the seats.


But... I only have 3 of them to go around the dining table (oh, and one of those I haven't touched yet!) so I'll be searching for a few more chairs.

So still have some work ahead of me, but for now, I'm happy with how these are turning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment