A virtual chalkboard for my projects, doodles and fun!

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Handmade Book Shelf

When I started this blog a few months ago, it was because I was inspired to do some new projects and document the before... middle... and after of my random projects.

I've done a couple of big projects that I just adore.  Like my 'new' chairs and dining table and my favorite, the vintage vanity transformation.

But during a break in my projects (it's still well over 100 and I just cannot bring myself to work out in the garage in these conditions), I've realized my husband and I have done a few blog-worthy projects that are on topic with the projects I love to write about here.

I told you about the checkerboard cutting boards we made one year as Christmas gifts. My husband Joseph gets all the credit on those. I was just his lovely assistant.



There's another project we did together.  Joseph used the power tools and table saw and did all the measurements. I helped hold things while he glued or nailed and then I got to paint it.

I'm talking about this giant bookshelf in our office.


When we moved into our first home, we didn't have a lot of furniture. A book shelf was something Joseph thought he could handle making at home. It turned out great! It's solid wood and put together very nicely.

Joseph used a router to make grooves in the sides, and then glued the shelves into them.

I love how the crown molding turned out. It really finishes off the piece.


We didn't take any photos as Joseph was building it, but recently, we took out all the books to do some dusting and reorganizing (don't worry, we only do this once every 4 years... that's a lot of books to move!).





And no sooner did we get it in the office, we had it filled up.  Joseph is the reader in the family. I contributed with books from college ranging from journalism materials, literature and meteorology text books.


My shelves :)
This piece is solid wood and very sturdy. It stands about 6.5 feet tall and is 3 feet wide. Joseph made the bottom shelf the largest to fit textbooks.

As you can see form the pictures, he may need to make another one to fit the books he's bought since building this shelf.

What's your favorite piece of handmade or solid wood furniture?

No comments:

Post a Comment